Our client, an innovative, wholly-owned Government property company with a multi-billion budget to deliver the sites required for 500 new free schools is recruiting an Acquisitions Manager to cover the Midlands and the North of England.
With over £2bn to spend on land and buildings, the company will grow to be one of the largest purchasers of sites in the UK. The company is responsible for negotiating complex acquisitions and developments to get the best possible value for money from the public investment deployed. Working directly with the country’s biggest landowners, agents and developers, they are responsible for buying sites across England, with individual acquisition budgets that range from £500k to £50m+. and transactions are rarely straightforward. They operate at pace and require complex negotiations with multiple partners across the private & public sectors.
To achieve this, they draw upon a multi-disciplinary team, with highly specialist skills and extensive property sector experience, to secure the best possible deals on behalf of taxpayers.
Ideally based in the North of England you will be Identifying, appraising and acquiring the temporary and permanent sites required for new free schools, university technical colleges (UTCs) and studio schools. Managing the provision of support from technical, planning and legal experts. Whilst external property advisors will be used in specific circumstances, this role is very much focused on the direct execution of land deals.Main Duties & Responsibilities include:
Key Skills & requirements:
- Working at pace, utilising market knowledge to identify, assess and secure sites for conversion into premises for new free schools at a competitive price.
- Building relationships with landowners, institutional investors, developers and local authorities and leverage these networks to actively pursue and secure site opportunities.
- Ensuring that the organisation have the market credibility and relationships with landowners that mean that they trust the organisation to deliver the right legacy for their land.
- Managing the acquisition life cycle end-to-end and be held to account for the sourcing and appraisal of viable opportunities, including the required liaison with a range of internal and external parties throughout the process.
- Taking responsibility for deal closure, ensuring that internal and external parties to the acquisition process execute all completion requirements in a timely manner.
- Managing the work of internal and external property, technical and legal advisors, including serving as the instructing party for external legal advisors.
- Acting as the point of liaison on property matters for Education Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) representatives and free school trusts involved in schemes that post holder is responsible for.
- Ensuring that key performance and service level agreement targets are met or exceeded for schemes the post holder has responsibility for.
- Supporting the development of property strategy, incorporating lessons learnt from projects and wider experience of the property market, planning and development.
It may be an advantage if you had:
- Qualified Chartered Surveyor (MRICS/FRICS).
- A degree in a relevant subject
- Previous commercial experience of land acquisitions.
- The ability to develop network of contracts with landowners, institutional investors, developers and local authorities
- A track record of identifying and supporting the negotiation and executing deals with landowners, developers, house builders and institutional investors
- Recognised as an industry specialist.
- Possess strong IT capabilities in Microsoft packages
- Able to question and probe to ensure understanding of client’s needs.
- Able to produce original well composed letters, reports and proposals in the appropriate style.
- Provide sound verbal advice that creates trust.
- Able to maintain a strong. presence in a group and gain attention when speaking.
- Knowledge of national, regional or local property markets
- Able to undertake most transactions with limited supervision.
- An understanding of a range of available deal structures.
- Speak up on contentious issues and offer own reasoned response.
- Weigh up the available alternatives.
- Take decisions but seek guidance when in doubt.
- Challenge other people’s ideas in a constructive manner.
- Able to make the right commercial calls, often with limited information.
- Modify and adapt response to meet the needs of a particular client.
- Know when senior input is required and escalate decisions.
In return they offer:
- Knowledge and understanding of government corporate structures and constraints.
- An appreciation of the factors impacting mixed-use developments
- Understanding of site requirements for schools
- A basic salary of £50,000 -£66,700 based on experience.
- Up to 20% performance related bonus scheme
- The opportunity to participate in a performance related pay scheme.
- 25 days’ holiday (in addition to statutory bank holidays).
- A defined contributions pension scheme.
If you feel you match or indeed exceed these requirements and would like to apply, please send us your CV along with a covering letter quoting reference number RD1807
Noble HR Solutions trading as Recruitment Doctor is acting as an Employment Agency in this matter